What is Flagyl? What is it used for?
Flagyl is a trade name for Metronidazole – an antibiotic and an antiprotozoal medicine. It is available in various forms such as pills, cream and injections. Flagyl 400mg is used alone or in combination with other antibiotics to treat endocarditis, pelvic inflammatory disease, and bacterial vaginosis. Alongside, Flagyl 200mg is quite useful in the treatment of trichomoniasis, amebiasis, dracunculiasis, and giardiasis. Flagyl Metronidazole can also be used as an option to treat first episode of mild-to-moderate Clostridium difficile colitis in case other antibiotics such as vancomycin and fidaxomicin are not available
How does it work?
Flagyl Australia belongs to the nitroimidazole class of medicines. The medicine forms nitroso radicals which further interferes and inhibits nucleic acid synthesis. Nitroso radicals disrupt the DNA of bacterial cells. This occurs only when Flagyl Metronidazole is partially reduced. Because this reduction is possible only in anaerobic bacteria and protozoans, it has comparatively little or no effect on human cells and aerobic bacteria.
How to take Flagyl 400mg dosage?
Take the medication as directed by your doctor. The oral tablet comes in the strengths of Flagyl 200mg and Flagyl 400mg. The treatment may last for one day or 7 days depending on the type of bacterial infection you are dealing with. Swallow the Flagyl 400mg tablet whole with a glass of water. Do not break or crush the tablet. Also, do not take the medicine with alcohol as this leads to severe side effects.
What are the side effects of Flagyl Australia?
Flagyl Australia is a well-tolerated medicine and generally it causes mild side effects which are easy to deal with. However, some cases have reported occurrence of severe side effects with the medicine. Mild side effects are short-lived and need no medical intervention. Whereas, on the other hand, severe side effects stay longer and usually.
Mild side effects are:
• Loss of appetite
• Metallic taste in mouth
Severe side effects are:
• Mood swings
• Trouble speaking
• Sudden vision changes
• Tingling of arms/legs
• Eye pain
• Allergic reactions
What are the precautions?
• Before taking Flagyl Metronidazole, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to the antibiotic or any other drug.
• Discuss your current medical status and medical history with your doctor before you start the treatment with Flagyl 400mg pills. Tell your doctor if you have health issues such as liver diseases, kidney diseases, low blood cells count etc.
• This antibiotic makes you dizzy and thus driving vehicle or operating heavy machinery post consumption of Flagyl 200mg pills is not recommended.
• Flagyl Australia antibiotic affects the working of the live bacterial vaccines such as typhoid vaccine and therefore, it is important to tell your doctor if you are waiting to get vaccinated with live bacterial vaccines.
• Pregnant women must consume Flagyl 200mg pills only when needed.
• Flagyl Australia medicine passes into the breast milk posing as a threat to the nursing child. Hence, breastfeeding mothers must have a word with their doctors before using the antibiotic.